Saturday, March 19, 2011

Olympus Pen E-P1

Why shoot digital?
Instant gratification!

I've gone through three digital point and shoot cameras: Fuji 1.3 MP which I inadvertently left in a coat pocket and thrown in the washer, quickly replaced by an Olympus 2.1 MP and then a Lumix FX01. All of them served my web/internet needs but practically useless for serious photography specially in hand held low light/no flash situations.

Being a Leica and clone enthusiast, DSLRs were out of the question since my M and LTM lenses will become redundant. Besides the Leica M8, M8.2, M9 and even the Epson RD-1 are out of my league.

E-P1 + CV Nokton 50/1.5 
So I patiently waited for a digital body that is adaptable to Leica RF compatible lenses. The Lumix G1 m4/3 was introduced in late 2008 but the DSLR look was a big turn off.


Finally during the '09 Holidays I saw an ad for an unloved E-P1 which has received lukewarm reviews due to slow auto focus, lack of an electronic viewfinder and etc...but those features didn't really matter to me and praises for its in camera JPEG quality was a plus since I would rather develop film rather than process RAW.

The price was right...


...so I took the plunge!

Helios VF just for show ;o)
It's been over a year and I am a satisfied user despite the 2x crop factor and LCD only viewing...but still shooting a lot more grain than pixels.

Buying a used EP?  This shutter count thread might be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment